Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:15 AM   #1

I'm totally new to digital cameras though have been taking film photos for a long time.

I would like to get a camera which I'll use for capturing videos. I'll use the digicam for non-critical photos asI'll probably stick to my film camera for this.

Any recommendations?

terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 13, 2005, 1:50 AM   #2

your spec's too general. there's just so many models to choose from. try to read more info yourself first. how about video cam?
ajay67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:52 AM   #3

I've got a videocam but I hardly ever use it as it's another piece of eqiupment to lug around. A camera will be much handier.

Having done a bit more research, I think I should go for a 4-7MP camera with TV standard video + sound (preferably 30fps) with video length only limited to size of memory card. Good optics is important. Short list includes Nikon 7900, Canon SD500, Nikon S1. What others should I look at?

I'm also a diver so if there is a good underwater casing for the camera, it may just tilt the balance.
terence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 5:56 AM   #4

twofruitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 11:39 AM   #5

The Casio Z750 has a nifty movie mode. It buffers 5 seconds, so you can push the record after something interesting occurs and it will record the previous 5 seconds plus record from there as long as you hold the button. It is a great feature if you are waiting for dolphins to jump or for a toddler to do that cute thing again. It isn't a new feature but few cameras have it. The video is also MPEG4, 640 X 480 at 30fps.

It is unique in being very small with a 2.5 inch LCD while still having an optical finder. It also has manual exposure, aperture & shutter priority and manual focus. The only thing in which it loses out to the SD500 is in the flash range. The flash assist mode helps, but it is still better to have the brute force of a strong flash rather than processing enhancements.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 13, 2005, 12:10 PM   #6
Super Moderator

EXILIM PRO EX-P505 offers 30fps mpeg-4 vga movies.. and their length is limited only by the size of your memory card...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote