Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:03 AM   #1

Hi there,

I want to buy a new camera but i'm hesitating between those two. If anyone can help me out ?

Important to me :
- Zoom, minimum 4x
- Picture quality has to be sharp and the colorbalance has to be fine.
- The time between pussing the button and taking the picture must be minimal under all conditions. Example : moving objects has to be sharp, low-light conditions, full sun conditions, ...
- The processing of the images has to be faster then my current Minolta S414. I have to wait a second when i want to shoot 2 pictures in a row because it has to be processed to the sd-card...

Perhaps there is another model that i habve to consider ? Please let me know which one and give me some advice...

Thx in advance !
ToJo is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 14, 2005, 1:04 PM   #2

They are both two of the "best compact 7 MP" cameras out there. However, I think you'll be happier with the faster speed of the Olympus. The Canon S70 unfortunately doesn't utilize the faster Digic II processor so it's simply not as fast as some of the other cameras like the C7000 or Fuji F10 for example. Right now, Costco.com has the C7000 for $350 which is HALF the original MSRP!
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 6:08 PM   #3

Hi ToJo: I also agree with Kimnicho and vote for the C7000. Zoom goes to 190mm vs 100mm for the S70; you get 8 resolution settings instead of 5 for the Canon; closer maco focus of 2cm vs 4cm for the Canon, and weighs slighly less. Also, the Oly offers both RAW and TIFF uncompressed files vs RAW uncompressed only for the Canon.

That said, both are good cameras. Try to handle both cameras and see whichone handles better for you.

Good luck.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2005, 10:56 PM   #4

I have to retract my statement....I decided to go with the S70 because of 3 reasons. 1. Reviewers like the Cnet say that "the S70 JUST edges out the C7000 in image quality" (I know that owners of C7000 may disagree) 2. Better, more Solid Construction 3. Dell has it ON SALE right now for $354 !!!! And the accessories for the S70 are A LOT Cheaper as well! (CF vs. xd card, battery costs, etc). Here is the coupon code for another $70 off their Sale price !!! 1VWL8GL8PSGGVK

All said and done, I got the S70 Plus a 512 CF Card for $400.
Dell made my decision for me :-)
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote