Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 19, 2005, 2:32 PM   #1

I'm interested in the highest image quality, but don't care about interchangable lenses. I use a Sony 828. Is the image quality in the Sony going to be as good as in an 8mp SLR? Thanks
steve collins is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 25, 2005, 11:20 AM   #2

The simple amswer is no.

Further clarification:

An SLR will have a larger sensor, which means it will capture more dynamic range.

The pictures will also be less noisy for the same ISO,and will be usable to a far higher ISO. I have seen pictures from the Pentax *Ist D at ISO1600 that looked very good. Most digicams are pushing it a little at ISO200, and a rare few (with the 7mp or 8mp sensor for example) will be ok at ISO400.

Finally, the lens is usually of a higher quality. It will show less distortion, and naturally be sharper.

However, my Canon Powershot S70 is more than good enough for me. It makes good A3 prints, and I can shoot more or less any subject I want. If I had the money I would get an SLR, but I don't need to.

You may also find one of the better digicams is more than good enough.

Good further reading - http://www.steves-digicams.com/smp/07212002.html
spjessop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 25, 2005, 5:58 PM   #3

I certainly agree, no fixed lens digital camera, even the Sony F-828 can equal the quality of photos produced by a dSLR.

Here is an example photo for you to consider. This photo was taken recently at the Shanghai Acrobatic Show. I was shooting WITHOUT FLASHusing my Pentax 1stDS at ISO 3200, and using a niceSigma 28-300mm lens. Shooting right next to me was a fellow traveler using a Sony F-828 at ISO 400 and using flash. Guess who got the photos that were great and worth saving? I did. He deleted his.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote