Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2005, 2:31 AM   #1

use of camera is only to take photos of products(mostly clothes and toys)

i've owned canon A75 but stolen, with this cameraafter i take photos of the products i always edited it in photoshop. the photo always came out too dark and dark area was not detail.....

i'm don't know much about camera or photography, i use the photo to display on my online store and distribute to my customers for products details, i've read many reviews and opinions and many popular cameras seems the DSLR camera but do i really need those cameras? or some 5mp cameras like the popular canon S2 is enough?

obiclock is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 7:37 PM   #2

Any good camera will work fine. A tripod and lighting can make a big difference. Remote stobes that are fired by the camera flash can add depth and are inexpensive. Or you can get a couple of halogen work lights and adjust the lighting so the products look appealing. You can use the camera flash in fill flash mode with the worklights if you want.

A camera with a hot shoe for an external flash can help. You don't need a lot of power for what you are doing, and there are automatic bounce flash units in the $30 range. Go to the board for any camera you are interested in and check what flash units people are happy with.

If you just want flat lighting from the camera flash, most cameras have EV and flash intensity adjustments. You should be able to get the exposure right using those. Check the "Record Mode Screens and Menus" page from Steve's reviews to check that the camera you are interested in has both EV and flash intensity adjustments. Also check the flash range. You would want something that covers the range you want to shoot in. Cameras like the Panasonic FZ20 reach out over 20 feet throughout the zoom range where some like the Sony T7 are good to only 5 feet – less when zoomed.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote