Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 21, 2005, 12:42 PM   #1

I have decided to join all the DSLR peoples :lol:I have owned a Dimage A1 and have decided to go to the full blown SLR's. I think I have decided on the 300D Digital Rebel for my first Camera. Good choice or is there something better?

I HATE the XT, its way to small for me to handle with any comfort.

I would also like to know what lens would be the best for just all around everything. I'm a diecast car collector and I take a lot of close-ups, but I also have kids and like vacations. Is there a lens out there than can handle both the close-ups fairly nicely and the vacation photos? I don't have a lot for a lens right now, just looking for something to get me started. I will be getting the KIT version with the 18-55mm lens. I was looking at a Tamron 70-300 LD MACRO 1:2 F4-5.6 FS=62 because of that MACRO setting....is this a going to do what I need it to?

Very very new to this SLR stuff so any and ALL opinions are very appreciated!

Sean S. is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:23 PM   #2

Old Jun 21, 2005, 8:56 PM   #3

I own the 300D and I'm quite content with it. The XT is obviously better than the Rebel, but at a higher price. For entry level DSLRs, either one will suffice.

As for lenses, check out the following links:

1) Bob Atkins Photography: http://bobatkins.photo.net/photography/
Bob has some pretty nice articles and lens comparisons. Worth checking out.

2) Fred Miranda Reviews: http://www.fredmiranda.com/reviews/
A forum dedicated to personal reviews of select lenses

For an all-around lens, many will agree that you should look for something that provides focal lengths between 28-135mm. That's a good all-around range. I don't own any lens other than the kit lens (it's a really good lens), so I would suggest trying out some of the sites I posted as well as searching the forums here for more feedback.
TheGhost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 21, 2005, 11:36 PM   #4

Same here. I bought my 300D off of Ebay for much cheaper than retail and was in great condition. I love it! It takes fine pictures for me, but I usually don't print bigger than 8x10in.

13 years old with a Canon Digital Rebal (300D for  the slower mind), 28-80mm Canon Lens, and Sigma 70-300mm Lens on the  way!
Geeek204 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 22, 2005, 10:35 PM   #5

Thanks guys for the advise!

I did a little more studying up on these and decided to wait until I could afford the 20D and a couple good lenses. When I go full blown SLR, I want a fairly good one.

For now I decided to get the Panasonic FZ15. Looks to have a really good review and I also read a lot from people here on the forums that have either the FZ15 or the FZ20...I didn't see much, if any, complaints with this camera.

So I figure around January I will have enough saved for the Canon. Then I will have 2 decent cameras for whatever I might need.

Again, thanks very much for your input. It really helped me decide what to do. Lot of good info here on this forum.

I will keep you guys informed on my new purchase (which should be here by Monday), and also post some pics of some of my cars I collect. Got a lot of Classic Muscle Cars Thank You! Sean-