Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 26, 2005, 12:18 PM   #11

I went through each one of your photos individually. All are sharp and they do show a bit of grain. Most of all the need a bit of post processing. If you lind the grain bothersome, there are two excellent software programs that can remove a great deal of the grain. They are Neat Image and Noise Ninja.

You are correct about gain in the Kong fu photo. The gain occurred due to the fact that I was really pushing the ISO setting. I had used ISO 800 and the exposure really should have been made at the ISO 1600 setting. Whenever you take a substantially underexposed photo and try to save it with software, the grain is going to become much more evident.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 1:30 PM   #12

Thanks for the advice. Would you believe I worked on every one of those images in photoshop (levels, contrast, exposure).

The two things that troublew me most are the general haziness (witnessed in a photo like "2cool") and the purple fringing (very obvious around the far left microphoe in the bluegrass band photo.

I probably just need to work harder at learning how to manipulate the camera. I do have some great photos I've taken with it.
Shrubman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 5:53 PM   #13

are you just looking for a new camera or also for ways to improve your photos?

If you're also looking for the latter, I'd first use the P mode instead of Auto. Set ISO to 50, to ensure the lowest noise possible (it's set to Auto, so I can't determine what it is because Canon does not record ISO in Auto mode. Argh!). Many of the pictures are not low light, though I agree that many are noisy (and the purple fringing is quite bad on some of them).

Second, I'd really open PS back up and increase the contrast and/or saturation. While doing this increases noise, they will look more pleasing. I can send you what I did with them using the free Irfanview (I suspect you can get much superior results in PS) if you send me your e-mail address in a private message (don't want to post e-mail addresses on a a website). Also, if the purpose of the pictures is Web posting, you can decrease the size (downsample them), and the noise in them will decrease. Coincidentally, you can then also sharpen them a bit.

The bluegrass picture, the Fuji F10 would have been a nice camera for, no doubt.
thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2005, 6:07 PM   #14

No, I certainly want to keep the camera I have, for now. No sense upgrading before my skills improve.

I just want to reiterate that I've got some really incredible images off this camera: vivid colors, low noise, very nice.

I just started to doubt what I was doing after seeing these images blown up real big on the web. BTW, I made them that big so others on the same trip could download them.

Thanks for all the advice!
Shrubman is offline   Reply With Quote