Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jun 28, 2005, 8:24 PM   #1

I am so confused! Just as I thought I had it all figured out, they introsuced more new cameras. I want a small, fit-in-my-pocket camera I can take on vacation (going to DisneyWorld soon). I already have the Sony v1 and a Sony dcs-p5, so I don't need a super high-end camera. I want to be able to take video, but professional quality isn't necessary. I love my Sonys, but want to stay around the $300 mark. I hate red-eye (although I do know most pocket-sized cameras don't do a great job eliminating it. I am a web designer, so fixing it is easy for me.) Any suggestions? thanks!
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jun 28, 2005, 10:58 PM   #2

The Z55 is a nifty little camera, but you might want to take movies at Disney World and they aren't too good on the Casio. If you are planning to bring a camcorder that wouldn't be a consideration.

The SD300 is a competent little point and shoot. It doesn't have a sports action mode, but that isn't a big downside.

Not sure which Panasonic you are referring to. Don't get one without an optical viewfinder for the Florida sun.

If it were me I would stop by the local flea market and get a nice little leather belt pouch for the V1. I have never failed to find a perfect fit in my local flea market. The camera is easier to get to and you are less likely to damage the LCD. I damaged one in my pocket once. If you carry one in your pocket make sure nothing else hard is in the pocket and the LCD is toward your leg.

Read the reviews and decide what features you consider most appealing. DCRP has started making a comparison size and weight box for similar cameras in their reviews – might be handy to refer to.

dpreview has a new reviewer who is doing smaller cameras but they haven't gotten quite down to the level you are looking for except for the SD300 http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/canonsd300/

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 29, 2005, 8:32 AM   #3

Thanks for your reply! The Panasonic camera is the DCM-LZ2. I also recently saw the Kodak V550, which looks awesome. Any thoughts on these cameras?
dottcomm1 is offline   Reply With Quote