Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 2, 2005, 3:53 PM   #1

My 7-year-old niece has discovered she really likes taking pictures. Welet her take an old point-and-shoot film camera on our recent vacation and now she's hooked. We'd now like to find her a good, simple-to-use (but half-way decent quality) digital camera, as it would save on film development costs and give her immediate feedback on her techniques.

If you have suggestions, or have a child who has had good luck (or bad) using a particular camera, please share. Low cost and durabilityare a plus (kids can be rough). I would appreciate recommendations, cameras to stay away from in this class, and stories regarding kids and their experiences (good and bad)withparticular cameras. Thanks!

mookier is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 2, 2005, 11:06 PM   #2

"Low cost and durabilityare a plus..."

I'm afraid this is going to be one of those either/or situations. Nothing that is cheap is going to stand up to the average 7-year-old for any length of time. In that case, the obvious choice is "low cost". I wouldn't normally recommend buying used, but the warranty on a new camera isn't going to cover damage due to dropping the digicam anyway which is what is likely to happen. The Canon A10 and A20 are great little point and shoot cameras, and you should be able to pick one up on eBay for $60-$80. If youonly want to buy new,anon-zoom point and shoot would be your least costly option, and the lack of optical zoom just means one less thing that can be damaged. Check out the models under Steve's guide to the best cameras. Whatever you choose, make sure it has awrist strap which will fit snugly around your niece's wrist so thatWHEN the camera slips out of her hands it won't hit the floor. Turn her loose with it;let herhave fun; and when "something" happens to it, tell her it's okay and buy her another one.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote