Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 3, 2005, 3:24 PM   #1

Hello all. I have a question regarding what digital camera to buy. It will be my first. I have beenmonitoring the discussions and reading the reviews butjustIseem to be getting more confused.

I am looking for a camera that I can use to take pictures of my kids playing sports. They are into the usual ones, baseball, basketball.... I would like a camera that will allow me to take closeups of them on the pitcher's mound and inaction.

I also need it to take good pictures inside for other school andfamily activities.

I don't plan to blow up pictures to more that 8x10, probably not more that 5x7,but would really like clear, quality images. My price range is under $500. Some manual controls are fine as I have a little (rusty) experience there. I have an interest in editing/enhancing photos as well. Battery type/storage media is not an issue at this point.

I really don't want a dSLR at this time, too big, too complex, too expensive. Is there another camera that will accomplish what I want? I don't want a big, heavy camera. Or am I looking at purchasing 2 cameras over time?

I have looked at the Canon S1IS and S2IS, and the Panasonic FZs (online only as they are not carried within 200 miles of where I live).I have wondered about theDiMage zooms as well. The Fuji F10 looks great as an indoor/low light all around camera.

I am sorry I am not more specific, but I have to start somewhere. Thank you for any and all advice/opinions!

pitchermansmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links