Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:50 PM   #1

I've recently been looking around for a new Digital Camera, but I really don't know which one to pick. I currently have a Sony DSC P120, which is great really. But it doesn't have an Image Stabilizer, which I need so badly as I'm simply dreadful at taking a proper picture:-). My pictures usually end up out of focus, off balance or extremely blurry, though I've been known to take the odd decent photo. I've had a look around, but really am unsure as there are so many different ones, the Panasonic Lumix range are appealing for the OIS, but the Canon cameras have got excellent image quality, so I don't know which one I want, so I'm asking here.

My needs for a camera are:

Image Stabilizer
High Resolution
Excellent Image Quality
Preferably small and light, but this isn't a must.

Any suggestions would be very much appreciated.

Samsung is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 5, 2005, 11:57 PM   #2

AFAIK, Panasonic is the only one making small and light digicams that also have IS. Since there is only three models, it shouldn't be hard to make a decision. Read the reveiws for the FX and LZ series.

PhilR. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 3:48 AM   #3

Are you sure that IS is going to solve all of your problems? It's not going to help "out of focus", and if the picture is "off balance", do you mean 'tilited' - it won't help that either. The only thing IS might help is the "extremely blurry" part, but maybe not entirely. Why are the shots blurry? Low light without flash? Slow shutter speed pic of a moving target? It sounds like the problem may be with the photographer, rather than with the camera.

Why don't you post a couple of example pics, and maybe we can determine what the problem is...no sense spending a lot of money for a new camera and having the same problems.

By the way...are you sure about the P120? Is that a new model? I'm not familiar with that one.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2005, 4:29 AM   #4

The pictures are blurry because I'm appear to be moving the camera when I'm taking the picture, which is where OIS would help, according to Panasonic. So yes, the problem is with the photographer, but I think I stated that in my original post.

As for 'off balance', yeah, I meant tilted, which is my fault, but if I didn't have to deal with the blurry images as well I'm sure I could correct that.

I can't seem to explain the Autofocus problem, I think it may be something to do with my camera, because I hold the Autofocus button for long enough, don't move loads after focusing etc.

The DSC P120 is a special black edition of the DSC P100, with an extra battery and leather case, so it's essentailly a Black DSC P100.
Samsung is offline   Reply With Quote