Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2005, 11:16 AM   #1

Looking for a new digital camera. Budget in the $500 or less range. Two main priorities: fast shutter/no lag, good optical zoom.

My camera was stolen and after a two week grace period, I'm accepting it won't show up. It was an Olympus C-4040, my first and only experience with digital cameras.

My biggest pet peeve was the shutter lag, and my top priority is to find a camera that I can snap off pictures with as little delay as possible. I would also like an optical zoom of > 3x, if possible.

I have been steered towards a DSLR because of my requirements, but I'm scared away by the cost, size, and complexity. I am really just a point and shoot kind of guy, and would prefer something easy and compact if possible.

Thanks in advancefor any help and I hope to repay the favor some day.
kyle_s is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 9:53 PM   #2

The Canon A95 is on the slow side when it comes to shutter speed....I think you should check out the recent crop of compact ultrazooms - Canon S2 IS, Sony H1, and Panasonic Z5 ! They all have 10-12x zoom PLUS Image Stabilization. And they are not nearly as big or heavy (or costly) as a dSLR.
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote