Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:05 PM   #1

I've been searching for the right digital camera for weeks now and the more I search the more confused I get! Please help!

I filled out this survey at dcresource.com

* What budget have you allocated for buying this camera? Please be as specific as possible. Around $300 (I'm buying on the internet at a place like butterflyphoto.com which sells cameras cheaper)

* What size camera are you looking for? Or does size not matter at all to you? I'm looking for an ultra-compact with style.

How many megapixels will suffice for you? It doesn't really matter, as long as the camera takes good pictures

* What optical zoom will you need? (None, Standard = 3x-4x, Ultrazoom = 10x-12x, Other - Specify) Standard

* How important is "image quality" to you? (Rate using a scale of 1-10) It's not that important but I want good pictures, I'd say about a 7 or 8

Do you care for manual controls? Not really

General Usage

* What will you generally use the camera for? Taking pictures of vacation, friends, and concerts

* Will you be making big prints of your photos or not? Not many

Will you be shooting a lot of indoor photos or low light photos? YES! This is very important. I go to a lot of concerts so I want a camera that is good at high ISO levels.

Will you be shooting sports and/or action photos? probably...

Are there particular brands you like or hate? no

Are there particular models you already have in mind? Yes the Fujifilm Z1 (I would have gotten it already if it wasn't for the fact that it sometimes takes grainy photos) because it's stylish and does good at ISO 800. I also had the kodak v550 in mind. Lastly the fujifilm f10, but it's low on my list because I would REALLY like a stylish ultra-compact, that is a big priority.

(If applicable) Do you need any of the following special features? (Wide Angle, Image Stabilization, Weatherproof, Hotshoe, Rotating LCD) No

THANKS! I'm open to any suggestions!
kitty02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:33 PM   #2

Your two best choices for taking indoor/low-light pictures are the F10 and Z1, in that order. The F10 is really amazing. It's not ultra-compact, but still very compact and light. Its battery life is about 500 pictures per charge. Though it is strictly a point and shoot camera, there is enough adjustments that can make you happy. The F10 is a much more versatile and better camera than the Z1. Do you really need an ultra-compact? I always thought you need an ultra-compact if you like to keep your camera in your shirt pocket or if your purse is really small else get a compact as you get better value for your money. I bought a F10 for my wife and she is quite satisfied with the camera and its low-light ability. I chose this camera for her because it was very simple to operate, its long battery life, and its low light ability which only a DSLR can match or exceed.

Oh yes, if you do buy the F10 and plan to use the $30 rebate, call Fuji to see if Butterflyphoto is considered an "authorized" dealer. They may be one of biggest dealers of Fuji cameras in the world, but they might not be "authorized". My rebate is still in the state of limbo.
Deadzone1003 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2005, 12:39 PM   #3

If you need stylish and don't like the F10 you are going to have problems with anything else at a concert that is in your price range IMO. I've never considered a camera a fashion accessory, but if that is what you want you will have to compromise a little.

Maybe a Canon SD 300 would work if Mp isn't important. Or go a little over budget and get a SD400. Or a Casio Z55 is under $300 if a viewfinder isn't important. The F10 doesn't have one either.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote