Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 11, 2005, 3:20 PM   #1

As the description says, would you buy the Casio EX-Z57, the Panasonic Lumix FX7, or the Sony Cybershot T1?

Or is there a better Ultra-Compact to look into?

My price range is ~$300.

Here is what I have found after doing some research:

Megapixels: tie.
Battery life: Casio wins, Panasonic second.
Card Preference: Casio and Panasonic tie (SD is the best option)
Size: Panasonic wins, Casio second.
Video quality: Sony wins, Panasonic second
Screen size: Casio wins
Screen resolution: Sony destroys the others.
Image Stabilization: Panasonic is the only one to have it.
Startup, shot-to-shot: Casio wins.

Casio loses points for not having Video out.
Panasonic loses points for not having a dock.

I have left some stuff out of course, but it is still hard to weigh my options. I want the screen size and design and battery life of the Casio with the resolution and video quality of the sony and the image stabilization of the Panasonic. I know that all of these expectation's can't be met, so which ones would you pick? Is IS that important?

Thanks in advance, you guys are great!
DenverMax is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:05 PM   #2

I may also look at the Sony Cybershot T33, but I can't really tell what is different about it from the T1 ?
Old Jul 11, 2005, 4:29 PM   #3

The T1 &T33 have pitifully weak flashes. And the f3.5 at wide limits your available light photography. They are outdoor cameras.

The only downside I see to the FX7 compared to the others is that the LCD doesn't gain up enough in low light to easily frame a shot. Stabilization is great for available light without a flash.

The Casio has an enormous screen, but the resolution isn't great. It seems competent.

I'm not a fan of cameras without a viewfinder, but that seems to be your preference. I think I would take the FX7 if I had to choose one because of the stabilization.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2005, 10:38 PM   #4

Thank you so much for the warning about the Sony cameras, I was wondering about the high aperture but had assumed that Sony knew what they were doing when they made the camera, which was a false assumption.

I like the Panasonic very much as well, and am thinking about just buying it and forgetting about the Casio, but I now cannot decide if I want battery life, a dock, and manual focus, or VGA movie and Image Stabilization. I am usually a sucker for brand name products, but the Casio really seems appealing to me right now.

Does the Nikon Coolpix S1 get a thumbs down as well for the F3.5? (I expected better from Nikon, with my Coolpix 5400 being so amazing!) I love Canon's Digital ELPH series, but would rather have a larger screen than an optical viewfinder.

Anything from Konica Minolta that can compete in this category?