Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 17, 2005, 7:17 AM   #1

I am deciding between a Canon SD400 or A95. I realize that the SD400 is smaller and has a larger LCD screen, but other than that are there any advantages? I can get the A95 for $85 less.

The A95 takes AA batteries which is a nice feature since I can always have charged back-ups. Also, looks like the LCD screen can be turned for protection when not in use.

Other differences are the type of memory, but I don't really care about that. I'm really interested in a difference between quality of photo.

Also seems like the Canon S500 is very similar to A95 but a year older. Does it have advantages over the other two?

Thanks for you help,

wck is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 17, 2005, 5:38 PM   #2

Here's a signifcant difference:

The A95 has a 1/1.8inch CCD, while the SD400 has a 1/2.5inch CCD. The more pixels squeezed into an area, the more noise. Thus the SD400 will most likely have more noise in it's pictures than the A95.

Also, the A95 ends up being much cheaper than the SD400. Baiscally with the SD400, your paying for mid-sized camera functionality in a compact package. If size isn't that much of an issue, the A95 may be a better choice for image quality and price, though I will say from what I've seen, I find the SD400 easier to use as far as the menu system. It just seems more intuitive than the A95 for some reason. The A95 has more advanced custom options, as well as shutter, and apature control.

Also take into account the fact that the A95 uses AA batteries, while the SD400 uses a propriatory pack.
Carskick is offline   Reply With Quote