Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 19, 2005, 3:31 PM   #1

hi all,

basically i am at a lost on what camera to buy? Canon S1 IS or Olympus C7070? i may consider myself on the advanced photographer side but not really into photography seriously. i just want to take picture of all subjects. moving, static, portrait, scenery and all. i like the Canon's IS but hate the form factor (it feels too plastic to me) but i also like that is has a better video mode than Olympus (although it's not the deciding factor, i feel like it is a plus for Canon). On the Olympus - i like that it can take RAW pic and it feels solid (looks solid since i haven't had the chance ti feel it yet). any inpur/advise will be highly appreciated.

vmaniqui is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 20, 2005, 11:20 PM   #2

Well, these two are very different from each other. The S1 IS is an ultrazoom while the Oly 7070 is a wide lens. I own the 7070 and I am very happy with it because it offers excellent image quality, numerous features, and has a solid magnesium body. Plus the price was right: $354.00 from beachcamera.com. If you check around online, you may even find it for less now. All in all, the 7070 is a great camera. The S1 is now an older model for Canon and was upgraded by the S2 IS.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 21, 2005, 12:33 AM   #3

Hi i have looked at both those cams and would also lean towards the olympus since u have more use of wideangle for creative photography than zoom, unless u are into nature-animal photographing.

I would seriously consider the "Panasonic Lumix DMC-LX1" though,announced yesterday 20:th Juli,instead of both those before.

The downside its due out in September.

Very classy lookand compact, has mechanical Antishake, 1/1.6" CCD, widescreen movie mode, wideangle 28mm, and a wealth of creative manual overides, targeting the enthusiasts especially. Lumix in general have excelent picture quality, very natural and harmonic.
themite is offline   Reply With Quote