Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 22, 2005, 2:59 PM   #1

I'm shopping for my first digital camera and want a compact camera that is easy to travel with. I've interested in the Cannon SD400 because it is so small and seems to have good reviews. The SD500 also seems nice, but a little bigger and heavier. I'm also thinking about the Fuiji f-10, but unsure about the lack of a viewfinder. The last camera I'm looking at is the Sony DSCW5.I'm not a serious photographer, but I would use the images for printmaking and like to be able to print from largerphotographs. The process I use requires me to make a photo copy or print from a laser printer. I've been using photocopier to blow images up, somy criteria for image quality isnot as high as someone just printing a large photograph. However the clearer the imageI start with, the clearer myart print is. Any help would be welcome.
NoraZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 22, 2005, 3:48 PM   #2

I think you have all of the information if you have read the reviews.

I don't like a camera without a viewfinder, but the F10 is a good camera otherwise.

The W5 has a 2.5 inch LCD and a viewfinder, but it is bulky. It is the only one you mentioned with manual controls if you want to use those.

The SD400 is very compact and is a competent camera. It seems it is the one you would be more likely to carry all the time. The SD500 is also competent.

One you didn't mention is the Sony P150 or P200. They are the only really small camera to have the lens far enough from the flash that red-eye isn't a constant problem. They have some manual controls.

I recently bought a Casio Z750 and am quite satisfied with it. It has some nice features and the control setup is great. To fit a viewfinder in a tiny camera with a 2.5 inch LCD they had to make the viewfinder small. I like it fine, but it might not be appropriate for someone who wears eyeglasses for distance vision.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 5:23 AM   #3

I wouldn't really call the W5 bulky. It is nearly the same size as the P200. Whenever I was buying the W5 (last week) I looked at the P200 as well but the W5 felt more solid and it is extreemly fast compared to most digital cameras and much faster than the P200.
rob123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2005, 9:11 AM   #4

Some good prices on the Kodak DX7630 at various places. Can be had for $200 or less if you look around.

truegrit is offline   Reply With Quote