Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 26, 2005, 3:12 PM   #1

my brother is in direction and animation. I want to buy this for him as a gift, i m having a hard time to decide between Canon powershot S1 IS or Fujifilm S5100. Please help!:?
KAURASHIMA is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Jul 26, 2005, 4:08 PM   #2

I was faced with the same two choices when camera shopping, and I ultimately went with the Fuji. I chose it because I like the way it felt in the hand better and I liked the sleek black look. Many reviews said that the Canon had a better viewfinder, but my personal opinion thought the Fuji was much more fluid. Doing research I found feature wise they were about even, although they each had tradeoffs. I've been very pleased with my s5100 and would recomend it to anyone looking for an inexpensive ultrazoom. The only downside is that the memory (XD) is more expensive than the SD, but if you shop around online you can find it pretty reasonable. Plus it's nice because with the lens hood you can use standard filters, the Canon you have to buy that piece.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2005, 6:42 PM   #3

I'm with the gipper - the S5100 wins here. Add to his comments the fact that the S1 doesn't have AF assist, which will hurt its ability to focus in low light situations. The SD memory is cheaper, but really only at the higher capacity cards. Since the Fuji is ony a 4 MP camera, a couple of 256 MB xD cards will net your brother over 500 pics at the high resolution/Normal setting, and can be picked up on ebay for about the same price as the SD cards.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote