Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Jul 27, 2005, 12:53 AM   #1

Hi Folks,

I hope someone can help me, Im trying to identify a suitable camera based on the following criteria:

Essentially Im trying to get a camcorder and camera in one so as much opt zoom as possible ideally 10x+, at least 4MP and must be able to record 15-30 minutes of video at 640x480 30fps with sound on 512MB (I suspect this means MPEG4).

Ive spent hours researching on this site, cnet zdnet etc and have identified the following:

Olympus C770 UZ - This is looking the closest so far, 10x oz, 4MP, records 30 minutes of MPEG4 movies on a 512MB stick. Downsides to this camera are only 4MP (more would be nice) and also no variable compression rate on the MPEG4 video, I seem to recall its only 2kbps.

Casio EX Z750 - 7MP, better movies (allows 4kbps and 2.1kbps sample rates), however only 3x oz

Casio S500 - 5MP, better movies (allows 4kbps and 2.1kbps sample rates), however only 3x oz

If anyone has any other suggestions I would be most grateful, if Olympus did a higher bit rate option on the MPEG4 then I would go with that camera. How liekly do you think a firmware update would be that adds a higher bit rate?

MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links