Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 2, 2005, 11:04 PM   #1

CANON S1 OR fuji Finepix s5100 ?
SENDOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 9:40 AM   #2

I have the s-1. I love it. I don't believe the 5100 has image stablization and the S-1 uses compact flash verses one of the ?-D memories for teh 5100. My girlfriend has the 5100 and Fuji's do take good pics. I like the color on them.
Kavoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 11:02 AM   #3

The S5100 has AF illumination for better low light focusing, 4 MP vs. 3.2 MP, and has RAW mode capability.

the Hun
rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 12:33 PM   #4

the AF Assist in S5100 is very poor.

RAW mode is great.

both cameras make little soft images.

take a look at Panasonic DMC-FZ4, or FZ3, and compare it.

here you can find reviews (includes Steve's articles):

kacsorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:09 PM   #5

I got the S5100 and like it a lot. I chose it over the Canon S1 because I liked the way it felt in my hand better (plus I like black better than silver). That was the major factor in my decision. The Canon seemed to have a few more quirks in reviews than the Fuji, but I can't recall what exactly they were. The only thing I wish the Fuji had was IS, but for the price I can't complain. XD is not as much of a factor anymore. I just picked up a 1 GB card for $85 deliveredfrom Newegg. Not as cheap as SD or CF, but not enough of a difference to really sway my decision.

For as cheap as they both are right now I think you'll be pleased with either one. The best thing I could say is go to a store and hold both of them. I almost bought the Canon over the Fuji until I picked it up, so try them both if you can.
gipper51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 6:29 PM   #6

Hey there,

While 'holdablity' is important to me as well, it may not always be the most important decision maker. I know I was not overly impressed with how the Oly C-770 felt in my hands (it wasn't comfortable for me -I like bigger cameras).The price recently helped my overcome my objection. I have had the camera for almost two weeks now, and I have overcome the discomfort and am quite relaxed holding and operating the beast now. (and I tend to be kinesthetic by nature, feel is important)

If both cameras are equalling appealing in every other way, the 'grip' might be the deciding factor; however, if you prefer one over another but you're concerned about the 'holdability',you mightconsider if that is something you can adapt to...

just another thought on the 'feel' issue...

JFW is offline   Reply With Quote