Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 5, 2005, 1:43 PM   #1

Does anyone recommend the panasonic fx8 over any other camara ie Kodak V550 or Casio s500...not sure which one to buy...have been ready to buy a camera for months now , but cannot stop reading reviews and take the plunge.

transcable is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 5, 2005, 7:39 PM   #2

The Kodak has MPEG4 movies and a viewfinder. Plus it has an excellent LCD. You can store a large photo album on the permanent memory.

The FX9 is announced but I don't know what advantages it has over the FX8 other than 6Mp compared to 5. The movies take a lot of space without MPEG4, but it should be fine for short movies. Stabilization is a great feature, especially in a camera without a viewfinder that is a little harder to hold steady. It should improve the movies as well as let you shoot in lower available light. I like the burst mode, which I use often on my larger Panasonic. It also has an excellent LCD.

The S500 is the smallest of the lot. It has MPEG4 movies and can store a large photo album in the permanent memory. The bit rate on the Casios seem a little better than what is used in the Kodak – at least it is on my Z750. The LCD isn't up to the quality of the others.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2005, 9:16 AM   #3

I am also seriously considering the FX8.

Vs. the V550 - no optical viewfinder, also no cradle and less buttons on the FX8. Personally don't use the optical viewfinder on my old Canon S100 and that has a tiny screen. And not having a cradle is a plus in my book as I always use a card reader, prefer wall chargers and don't have any room on my home desk for a cradle. As for the extra buttons and switches on the V550, in some ways it makes for easier picture taking instead of hunting thru menus, but more buttons means it is easier to hit those buttons inadvertently.

Vs. S500 - bigger screen (along w/a bigger cam), and questionably a better lens on the FX8. The S500 is a beautifully designed even tinier camera than all the rest and the smaller screen helps keep it diminutive and that is still a large screen. Lens/picture quality is still up in the air as neither has had any major testing, but the Leica lens on the FX8 is a great lens and Casio uses different brands of lenses, usually good quality.

Also, I've been leaning towards the Pentax Optio S5z. It seems on par w/the FX8, but probably agood amount cheaper.

The Panasonic does have image stabilization which may put it over the top of the rest. The Casio does have some sortof stabilization, but according to CNET review, it doesn't help much...

Rushski is offline   Reply With Quote