Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2005, 1:55 AM   #1

hi guys,, which is the better one??
kodak v550 has excellent reviews,i dont know about samsung i5.it seems a nice camera and it can capture abt 2hrs of movie with 256 mb,has any seen its sample movie and compared it with v550

ankitalmighty is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 3:48 AM   #2

Hi Ankital,

Go check out the link below for the topic on i5.

I own one of those little things. It takes great pictures and the topic has a link to where you can get a sample video on the i5 at 640 30fps.

I'd just like to say if these are your three choices, go for the Kodak V550. It has MPEG-4 as well with zooming capabilities while taking videos without muting the sound. Samsung can do the same but has to mute the sound while zooming.

If I could turn back time, I'll for for the kodal. the S-500 is too pricy for what it delivers and has not very good ratings when macro is concerned. Samsung on the other hand claims to give Super Macro as close as 1cm!. Havent tried it yet. Samsung is one fragile camera though as I have learned. Its still gone in for warranty.

Last edited by musicarvind; Jun 5, 2011 at 11:58 PM.
musicarvind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 9:09 AM   #3

Samsung i5 is really smaller/lighter than my Kodak v550.

Besides physical size, i5 also produces smaller mpeg-4 files than my v550: 250KB/sec vs 500KB/sec.

Although it's mic will take some rest during video zoom.

So it really depends on if you want more features or more size/weight?

I agree s500 is out of the competition due to noisy pics, and too plastic aesthetic, plus it's the only one that is NOT capable of video zoom.

All 3 DC you mentioned, may suffer from the common difficult-to-grip problem of all compact DCs.

For the lens, I think Kodak's Schneider is the best among the 3.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:19 AM   #4

I've had V550 for a month now, and LOVE it. It takes awesome pics indoor/outdoor, and excellent videos. As to zoom and sound, well, in all honesty the sound that camera makes when you zoom during video is just obnoxious, and for some it'll probably be annoying, for me I don't care, I don't plan to zoom too much during videos anyway. I'd definately recommend this camera.
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote