Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:28 AM   #1

Hi guys,

I'm lookingto replace my old 2mp canon A40.

I want something thats compact and is good for taking short VGA movies. Need it to record at 400-700kbps so I can get 10Min+ on a 512Mb card. I realy like the look of the Cannon SD400 but it only does 4min/512mb

1. 3x Optical Zoom+ [/*]
  2. Unlimited VGA 640/30fps with sound [/*]
  3. 5+ megapixels [/*]
  4. 2.0"+ display [/*]
  5. SD & MMC memory[/*]
I've narrowed it down to these 3 Canon SD400, Kodak V550 andPentax S5z. The V550 is my current favorite, my only doubt is it looks to use .mov file format instead of avi or mpg.

The newHP R817 & Casio Ex-Z10look tempting, anyone know about them? Are they worth waiting for? Would like to here yourthoughtsor recommendations before I commit my money.

j_duqueno is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:44 AM   #2

Hi: Look at the Olympus C-5500.

5MP, 5x zoom, both auto and manual control,compact size, AA batteries, with excellent still and movie results. The movie mode offers15/30 fps, with audio,and unlimited movie time to the capacity of the memory card.It's street price is running about $225 or less. It's an excellent value for the money.

Steven R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 8, 2005, 8:47 AM   #3

At least 3 movieplayers I know can play v550's Quicktime MPEG-4 movies:
- Quicktime 6.5 or above (free download)
- Kodak EasyShare 5.x (downloadable by registered customers).
- VLC player http://www.videolan.org (free download).

The v550's movie filesize is 1/4 of Canon M-JPEG (in AVI filetype). I feel about same quality.

The strength of v550 video, besides mpeg-4 (in QT .mov), is its capability to "zoom during video capture".

Pentax's compression is also MPEG-4, but the filetype is AVI.

You have to distinguish between filetype and compression type. The compression affects the movie quality/efficiency more than the filetype. Even for Windows Media Player 9, it still has to download/install the specific codec from your DC's vendors even if same .AVI extension i.e. .avi does NOT guarantee it to be playable by MediaPlayer. After all the filetypes are just packaging names.
big_potato is offline   Reply With Quote