Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 8, 2005, 11:02 PM   #1

I am about to purchase my first camera for an upcoming trip to NY. I would like it to have the following:

4MP, lithium ion rechargable battery, manual settings (I am willing to let this go), quality pictures indoors and out and a viewfinder.

I have spent hours searching the net reading loads of reviews. I was interested in the canon ixus 40(sd300) but read so much on it's very sensitive screen, that I was turned off.

I am also interested in the Nikon coolpix 4600 or 4200 (not sure about the difference between the two). I know this camera doesnt have the ability to adjust the shutter speed but is it absolutely necessary if the camera has night mode? I have also heard that it can be slow. I like to fiddle with my camera a little to take good quality shots but wouldnt call myself a pro or anything. I basically just want good quality photos, day and night, indoors and out.

Any advice you can give would be much appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
trip is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 9, 2005, 7:36 AM   #2

trip, do you feel like you've read heaps of great "pro reviews" followed by a seemingly endless tirade from disgrunted owners??

i know the feeling. was looking at canon sd300 and was SO close to purchasing but succumbed to another 5 minutes of browsing and was left wondering what the hell i was thinking!

sime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 9, 2005, 12:35 PM   #3

By your choices I see that you're either looking for compact or ultra compact. If you'd like manual controls, and plenty of scene modes, good movie mode, good pic quality, you should look into Casio Exilim Z750, but read on "lens error" before deciding. I'd look into Kodak V550 awesome point and shoot, great quality pics/movies, Panasonic FX8, FX9, or LX1 (coming out) with optical image stabilization, Olympus Stylus 800 is an interesting all weather cam with manual controls, definately check out Fuji F10, is known for great image quality, especially in darker conditions.

Hope this helps somewhat to expand your choices, or just confuse you more digicam shopping is addictive, time consuming, and it's just so hard because you think you found something, but then there's always something better that comes out, however, you usually would have to give up something for something other, I don't think anyone has ever met all their needs in single camera
c0mrade is offline   Reply With Quote