Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 10, 2005, 10:03 AM   #1

I am starting to research various Digital SLRs, and I have a couple of basic questions. I already have a Minolta SLR 35 mm camera with several good lenses. I would like to maintain that investment when I purchase a digital SLR; what camera brands are Minolta Maxxim and Sigma lenses compatible with? And which of those cameras would come with your highest recommendations?

Thank you
Doogie is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 10, 2005, 12:55 PM   #2

it is not the brand that matters it is the mount.

1) Minolta mount lenses will only mate to a minolta camera (with the correct mount)
Same for Sigma lenses that have a Minolta mount, they can only be used on Minoltas.

2) the same Camera manfactuere may have different seires of lenses,
Like the old canon FD series won't mount on the newer EF mount cameras, and the newer ef-s mount wont mate to the older plain ef mount either. In some cases even if it will fit the electronics are not compatible.

You need to take your existing lenses to a Minolta dealer and make sure they both mount and will work on the current Minolta dslr's.

Best thing about the Minolta DSLR's is they have in camera image stabilization, so any lens that will mount is automatically a stabilized lens. :idea:
Minolta is the only DSLR manafacturer who has put the stabilizer in the camera, with Canon/Nikon you have to re-buy the IS each time you buy a lens.

PeterP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 10, 2005, 1:14 PM   #3

Konica-Minolta has two current DSLR models that can use Minolta Autofocus (Maxxum) mount lenses. They can also use lenses from Sigma, Tokina, Tamron, Vivitar, and others if they are made for Minolta A Mount (Maxxum/Dynax) cameras.

One is the Konica-Minolta Maxxum 7D (a.k.a., Alpha 7D, Dynax 7D), and the other is the Maxxum 5D (a.k.a., Dynax 5D in most markets outside of North America and now called "Sweet" in Japan).

The 7D is currently shipping in the U.S, and you'll find a review of it here:

The Konica-Minolta 5D just started shipping in Hong Kong a few days ago. So, it should start hitting stores later this month in the U.S. Many vendors are taking preorders for it now. You can read more about it in this press release:

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote