Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 14, 2005, 6:15 AM   #1

Okay here is the deal, I am trying to make magnets with a picture on them. The site will only accept pictures that are 300dpi, but the professional photos I had made are 72dpi. I read online that if you reduce your photos to a 4X6 that it would increase a 72dpi photo to a 300dpi. But all of the programs on my computer only reduce by the pixels and when doing it that way it keeps the same 72dpi.

If I decide to use a picture I took myself I am still in the same boat because my camera takes 180dpi. Is it possible to increase the dpi? Any help is greatly appriciated!
SoCalGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 14, 2005, 9:55 AM   #2

your camera does not take the picture with a certain dpi. The 72 dpi you see is meaningless, it's just embedded in your picture.

dpi refers to "dots per inch". Ergo, if you print the picture (magnet) at a small enough size, you'll eventually get to 300 dpi. If your magnet is 5x7 or less in size and your camera's resolution is 4 MP, you have enough for 300 dpi, barring heavy cropping.

Refer to this table to see the minimum resolution needed to get 300 dpi for various photo sizes:

thebac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 14, 2005, 10:28 AM   #3

u can change the dpi in photoshop with image>image size and check OFF the resample image option and then enter dpi as 300 and click ok.
archish is offline   Reply With Quote