Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2005, 1:25 AM   #1

I'm trying to decide on a camera I can carry with me in a pocket, backpack, etc. I have narrowed it down to the Exilim Z750 vs the Sony DSC-P200/W7. I have a few questions which I hope someone can help me with. I am not much of a photography conoisseur, but I'm tryng to learn.

Here's the features I'm stuck on:

The Exilim has a ISO rating of 50, 100, 200, 400+ auto. The sony models have 100, 200, 400 + auto. Would anyone miss the ISo-50 rating, and if so, in what situation? Since film below 100 is not even available most places, does this mean that it's not something most people would need?

Can someone comment on the manual focus between the three models?

Shutter speed, here's where I see the most differences: Min60s for the exilim, 30s for the sony. Max shutter 1/1600 for the exilim, 1/1000 for the sony. How much of a difference is that?

The Exilim has apperture and shutter priority modes, while the sony don't. Would most people care?

I am leaning a little towards the W7 because I like the case better than the DSC-P200, but I noticed that it has slightly lower reviews than the P200, and I am not getting from the specs where those differences would come from.

Finally, why the heck is the W7 so much heavier than the Casio, if they are both about the same size?The W7 is .1" taller, .1" wider, and .3" thicker, but almost 50% heavier? (165g vs 250g). Is the W7 any more rugged than the Casio?

Any input would be appreciated.

injv is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 15, 2005, 3:01 PM   #2

ISO50 gives less noise. Compare Steve's outdoor sample pictures. He usually shoots in auto and the Casio would default to ISO50. In both the P200 and W7 reviews Dave at imaging resource thought the anti-noise processing was a little high and caused a little loss of detail. I don't think it is anything you would notice unless you displayed the images 100% so you have to scroll around the screen. He also thought the W7 was noisier than average despite the processing.

You have only a few pre-set focus distances on the Sonys. The Casio has a full manual focus. I'm not sure that is any better though. The distance scale on the Casio is hard to translate and it is pretty hard to accurately focus with the LCD in bright light.

Aperture priority is handy if you don't want to use the scene modes for sports etc. If you put it in aperture priority and the widest lens setting you are generating the maximum shutter speed you can for the available light. I don't see much use for shutter priority in a small camera.

Manual exposure is better on the Sonys for daylight shooting. It has an EV reading to tell you which way to adjust. The Casio has no metering until you half depress the shutter – and even then it doesn't tell you which way to adjust. I use manual mostly for night shooting and metering doesn't work there anyway, but I do use it for panoramas in my other cameras. I have found a workaround for panoramas, but it would be better to have some metering in manual exposure.

I doubt you would find much advantage to anything over 30 seconds.

1/1000 is sufficient to capture most action. I don't think there are many occasions the camera would generate more than that unless you were in aperture priority with the lens full open on a sunny day.

Sony uses 1/40 second for flash sync rather than 1/60 like most other companies. Several owners have complained about ghosts in bright lighting using the flash caused by subject movement. The slower the flash sync the better backgrounds are lighted by ambient light though. It is a trade off, and you can always set your own shutter.

The Casio has a better movie mode. With MPEG4 you get more on a card. The past movie mode also eliminates a lot of grinding away waiting for something to happen. You can wait for something interesting to happen and then start recording. It records the previous 5 seconds and continues recording. I really like that feature.

The P200 (along with the other long Sonys) are the only small cameras that aren't prone to red-eye. You get plenty of red-eye with both the W7 and Z750. If you aren't into post processing that might be a consideration.

The Z750 has the best control setup of any small camera and it is better than a lot of large ones. It was obviously designed by enthusiasts – as compared to my FZ10 that was apparently designed by engineers who use disposable cameras for their personal photography. The Casio is a real pleasure to use.

There is no problem with body ruggedness. I've read several posts by people who have dropped them multiple times with no damage other than dings. It does have a lens error problem if you accidentally turn the camera on in your jeans pocket or in a tight fitting pouch. I haven't had any problem with mine, but I put the mode dial in audio record before putting it in the pouch. You won't have a problem if you do that.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote