Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 15, 2005, 8:00 PM   #1

Hi people

I previously owned an Olympus C-760 (10x Optical, 3.2mp) which I was very happy with in many ways. I enjoyed the crisp images it created, but now have different requirements.

What I want is a higher MP camera, faster start up to record times, image stabalizing, and better low light handling/AF-assist (has to be able to handle night shots). Desirables also include things like movable LCD, TIFF (and/or RAW) support, ability to add extra lenses, etc. Decent movie support would be nice but i'd buy a video camera for that if it mattered that much to me, not a still camera.

But the desirables are not defining what I will necessarily go for, as other factors like image quality are more important to me.

I am now investigating which one to replace that with.

My initial investigations have left me with the following impressions:

Canon S2 - Generally speaking it seems to handle all kinds of situation and has features galore. But all pictures i've seen taken with them seem to lack hard focus/definition of finer details. The pictures ive seen has left me with real reservations here despite reading so many great reviews based on its technical abilities.

Panasonic FZ20 - It seems this was the king before the S2 came, and in some ways is still better, but at the same time reports say its little use in low light due to its EVF/LCD being unable to gain up. Image quality of FZ20 seemed to excel S2's based on sample shots, but sample shots don't necessarily demonstrate real life experiences. This camera also seemed to have longer startup times, but not so long it sounds like it'd be that serious a detrement.

FZ5 - Seems pretty close to FZ20, but seems like FZ20 is worth spending that bit extra on for the extras it does have. And does seem like FZ20 has a better quality image, not by alot, but somewhat.

Cybershot DSC-H1 - Seems to be 'up there' with this bunch listed above. Sample shot comparisons i saw of S2 Vs H1 made H1 look miles ahead in picture quality. Seems to take really good quality night shots, but seems to suffer from purple fringing.

Any advice given here on which to go for would be much appreciated.

Cyberwlf is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links