Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 24, 2005, 7:40 AM   #1

I am going to sell my old Nikon F70 and buy a good digital camera soon..

Read a test in Danish "Digital Foto" (9/2005) (between Canon S2 IS, Fujifilm S5500, Kodak Z740,Kon-Minolta Z5, Olympus C-770 and Panasonic DMC-FZ5) that the Canon S2 IS won – so I am considering buying the Canon.

I read a lot of tests on the net and good alternatives could be: Panasonic Lumix, Nikon Coolpix 8700, Sony Cybershot DCS H1, Konica-Minolta Dimage Z5 and similar cameras.. For instance, one test seemed to prefer the Sony over the Canon: http://www.digitalmagasinet.dk/redirect.asp?URL=http%3A%2F%2Fwww%2Eakam%2Edk%2Far tikkel%2F18328 (in Danish)

One of the downsides of the Canon seems to be grainy pictures/noise at ISO higher than 100.. I never owned a digicam before: Is this really important (I mostly shoot when travelling..so mostly outdoors)?? Can it be corrected with software later o nor??

I value image quality and zoom the most (landscape- and general travel photography).
The Canon also records video and sound, but is it not possible to find a camera with similar specifications (min. 5 megapixels, 8x optical zoom or more, antishake).. that are BETTER WHEN IT COMES TO IMAGE QUALITY (grain/noise, distortion et cetera)???:-?:-?I really don´t need all the fancy video-options and would rather do without them and get better photo quality instead…

I am not considering semi-pro digital SLR's because of price, size, having to buy different lenses and so on..Can anyone help me make the best decision? All comments are highly appreciated

Q2: I never owned a digicam before: Let's say I shoot a picture of a normal landscape at highest resolution with a 5 megapix camera at ISO 100 or 50… how big will I be able to make the print (for home decoration) without getting bad quality??

And what if the camera doesn't support RAW… is that important?

uffesteenberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 24, 2005, 8:19 AM   #2

Take a look at the Nikon 8800:

My dad has one and it's a great camera. 10x stabilized zoom and all the features you could possibly want.
birdman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 24, 2005, 1:20 PM   #3

Yes, the Nikon 8800 is a good digital. I know, I own one. But I replaced it with the Pentax 1stDS which is great.

I tired of the Nikon 8800's slowness both in focus and shot to shot times. With the Pentax 1stDS I got much faster speeds, changeable lenses, and ISO's up to 3200 all for about the same price.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 25, 2005, 5:48 AM   #4

Look at the prviews of Fujifilm S9000. 9.7X zoom, best in class sensor and the works. The only downside is that the lens is not stabilized. I don't know how important this lack of stabilization may be, but the other things make it worth the wait.
wise is offline   Reply With Quote