Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:43 AM   #1

I'm looking for a camera that is good at digiscoping (well, taking photos of birds and other animals at full zoombecause I don't have a scope and can't seem to edit the title) and macro, as well as generel use (shots of family and friends, pets, etc.) Also, it has to be $350 or under.

I was thinking the Canon PS A95 or the new Canon PS A610 (after I've read reviews). Is the A95 good for this? I currently have a Canon A510 and can't seem to get clear photos at full zoom.

Sorry for editing so much. :?
ssl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 28, 2005, 1:23 AM   #2

Well now, if I wanted a camera that took pictures of about the same quality as the A610 (I assume) and was about the same size, but with much better zoom and macro abilities, I would go with the Olympus C-5500. It is only around $210, and has equivalent zoom of 38-190mm, compared to the A610's 35-140mm. The C-5500 also has a super macro modewithdown to2 centimeters focal distance. It's biggest downside is slow speed, but for primarily shots of birds, I would want the 5x zoom.

Regrettably I am a beginner who has not tried either camera (obviously), but I have been doing extensive research into my own future camera over the past few months and those are my top choices (the other being the Olympus C-7000, very similar to the C-5500).Or else you might try a cheap ultra-zoom camera. See the C-5500 review at dcresource.com.
raven15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 28, 2005, 4:03 AM   #3

I haven't used it myself, but this guy on Flickr uses a Canon A95 exclusively to get his great insect shots:

He uses the Canon Conversion Lens Adapter LA-DC52D along with a Raynox 10x closeup lens.
Ikki is offline   Reply With Quote