Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:19 AM   #1

Recently developed a problem w a coolpix 950 and decided rather upgrade than deal w a costly repair. Would prefer a camera w maximum flexibility---priority of course is sharpness, color of printable foto, but also require 1)a decent telephoto (for nature photography),* 2)reduced light usage (the coolpix 950 flash was wretched), 3)rapid firing (for darting-child pix). The 8800 seems almost too good to be true, and while the Lumix is not out yet, it sounds even better. An old Nikon F2 Fotomic user, the d70s holds appeal because of the potential for control that it offers (but price and cost of adding a telephoto seems high, and 6 mp is bound to be upraded soon).
couch is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 27, 2005, 10:53 AM   #2

What's your budget? $500? $600? $1,000?

The F20 has a faster lens than the F30 at full zoom. You may want to take that into account. It may make a difference in low lighting.

The Coolpix 8800 takes great pictures, from what I have heard. However, I have also heard people complain about slow focusing in less than optimum lighting and slow burst mode.

If low light pictures are important to you, you may want to wait a month or so for the Fuji FinePix S9000 to come out. It doesn't have image stablization, but supposedly does have good picture quality at higher ISO's. It goes from a 35mm equivalent of 28 mm (wide angle) to a full zoom of 300 mm.

Good luck!
robbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 27, 2005, 9:43 PM   #3

I believe that the FZ30 is now selling on eBay. I saw a number of them today.
Its predecessor, the FZ20, has earned a good reputation, and the FZ30 is even better (with 1/1.8", 8 mp sensor, etc.).
I am considering getting the FZ30 in the next month or so.
It was already pointed out that the lens is slightly slower at full zoom (3.7 for the FZ30, I believe, vs. 2.8 on th FZ20).
If that is an issue, then an FZ20 can be baught at a bargain price at this time.

sh10453 is offline   Reply With Quote