Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 28, 2005, 11:57 PM   #1

Like lots of others in this forum, I've been reading lots and agonising over what the best camera for me is. I would like a fairly serious zoom, with a reasonable number of megapixels (I'd like to be able to blow up my prints to A3 size).

I'd pretty much narrowed my choices down to the Nikon 8800 (released last year) and the newer Canon S2 IS (released a few months ago). Combinations of high megapixels with long zooms are hard to come by without going to a digital SLR, which I don't want to do quite yet.

The attraction of the Nikon is that it is8MP over the Canon's 5MP. The Canon has the better zoom as is a smaller, more compact camera. A key point which caught my eye in a review from dpreview was for the Nikon was: "If you've read the ISO comparison section of this review already you won't be that surprised to see the smaller CCD in the G6 performing so well, it's probably over two years ahead of the 8400's 2/3" eight megapixel in development terms."

The Nikon 8400 and 8800 share the same CCD. So my reading of that is that Canon's CCD are better than Nikon's ... ? (at least at this time)

Given that the Nikon is more than twice the price than the Canon, is the Canon the obvious choice?

Any suggestions or comments are MORE than welcome.

paceb1959 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links