Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 29, 2005, 1:38 PM   #1

I am using an Olympus c-740 and I'm happy with the picture quality and the 10x zoom. However, I hate how slow it takes a snap and the time between snaps. I have to anticipate a shot and actually shoot and hope I get it!

I recently used a friend's Canon Digital Rebel and was amazed at how fast it takes a shot and even a series of shots. However, I am a casual picture taker and I like the simplicity and portability of non-SLR cameras.

I would like to get a camera that will give me at least 10x optical zoom, 5-8 megapixel and be fast in taking quality shots (perhaps as fast as a quality SLR). What do you recommend or better yet, what exactly are the names of the speed features I should look for?

Thanks in advance.
risk is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Aug 29, 2005, 7:43 PM   #2

It's unlikely you will find a non-SLR digicam that will offer the speed of a DSLR, especially in the SLR-like megazoom category. I guess that's one of the reasons the DSLR's sell for over $1,000.

The times you should be looking at are startup time (also known as power on to first shot), shutter lag (the time it takes from pressing the shutter release to the actual firing of the shutter), and cycle time (shot to shot time). To confuse things a little are the way these times are expressed. For example, shutter lag can be full autofocus, continuous autofocus, manual focus and pre-focus. Just make sure you compare the same shutter lag between cameras. I usually consider the pre-focus times, since that is the way I usually shoot.

One of the quicker non-SLR cams I've seen are the Panasonics. However, the new Fuji S5200 is touted to have a startup time of 1.1 seconds and a pre-focus shutter lag of only 0.01 seconds, which makes it extremely fast for a 10x zoom. If the picture quality is as good as the S5100, Fuji is going to sell a lot of these cameras.

the Hun

rinniethehun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 30, 2005, 12:52 AM   #3

Hi Risk,

Justconfirmingwhat the Hun said: my son is using a Fuji S5500 andI'm very impressed about the writing speed to the card too. Picture quality is good, so the new version is worth to have a look at.

Regards, Conrad.
KVP is offline   Reply With Quote