Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Aug 30, 2005, 7:23 AM   #1

I have a question that I hope someone may be able to answer. I am planning to purchase a Digilife DDV soon. I am thinking about the DDV-950 or the DDV-960. I understand the DDV-950 is a CMOS based sensor while the DDV-960 is a CCD sensor. I know that everyone says that CMOS is inferior to CCD in terms of quality but on the Digilife website, it states that it uses a 4T CMOS sensor which is supposed to produced very high quality results even in very low light situations.

I don't understand if their CMOS 4T sensor is so superior to other CMOS, then why are they producing units with CCD sensors?

To tell you the truth, I have had many digital cameras and CCD sensors are too overated! Many of the low to mid line cameras produce mediocre results!

In fact many of the top digital SLR on the market use only CMOS censors and not CCD sensors.

Should I get the Digilife DDV-950 with the CMOS sensor or the DDV-960 with the CCD sensor. Does anyone have any stories/experience with any Digilife products that they could share with me?

I would greatly appreciate any help you may provide. Thank you.

nycboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:13 AM   #2

Sorry for the late response, but I seldom check this topic.

To answer your last question first, there is some information on the Digilife camcorders at:

There is even more at www.digital-world.info, in the Mustek forum, if you can wade through the plentiful crap and spam.

I expect the Digilife DDV-950 and 960 won't be on the market until months from now. The release date keeps being moved back (at www.ispan.com.tw). I have owned an Aiptek DV4500, Digilife DDV-S670, and now have a Digilife DDV-720. I have a DDV-810 (aka V1) on order.

The 4T CMOS sensor Digilife is using is vastly better than a CMOS sensor I had on the Aiptek. Having never owned a CCD camera, I can't compare ccd and cmos. But I notice most of the best hybrids use ccd sensors.

The 4T can video just fine at office lighting levels, and even make do in slightly dimmer conditions, while the plain cmos sensor requires bright indoor lighting. At lower light levels it defaults to a slower frame rate that will blur subject matter that's in quick motion.

The sensor quality issue shows up in scenes with significant contrast. The plain cmos sensor just gives you black if something is in shadows, while the 4T makes the contents of the shaded subject matter visible and in color. Even the 4T has nowhere near the dynamic range and low light capabilities of film cameras, which themselves fall far short of what our eyes do.

There are also issues about power consumption for cameras, and supposedly cmos sensors consume less power than ccd.

So basically I can't answer the ccd vs cmos question for hybrids, but my GUESS is that ccd is better and I hope to have one eventually. The 4T cmos definitely is better than what some other manufacturers are using.
sgspirit is offline   Reply With Quote