Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 1, 2005, 1:41 PM   #1

My choice is limited to these two cameras...which one should i get.

i am leaning toward the olympus because of its quiter shutter. but, it has a 5MP sensor.

the minolta has a 6.1 sensor, but is that really much different?

Also, i want to shoot low-light stuff as well. will i ever need to go above iso 800?

Thanks in advance for your replies!
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 1, 2005, 10:10 PM   #2

I can only supply my observations:

The Konica Minolta 7D is much better suited for low light work, less noise plus the anti-shake feature. The 7D also has a built in flash.

The Olympus E-1 is built like a tank, pro quality body with lots of dust and moisture seals. The hypersonic dust removal is a plus as well. However like most pro models it will require an external flash.

For most photography you will not notice a difference between 5 and 6 megapixels, it amounts to only a 20% increase in area at the same output resolution. I have seen excellent 11"X 14" prints from a 5MP camera.

Monza76 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 9:15 AM   #3

In my opinion, your best bet as far as a body/lens combination both for today and down the road the Minolta is the best choice, with more options as far as lenses, both third party and OEM and... to be honest, a better future. The 4/3 format isn't exactly setting the world on fire. The E-1 is a little long in the tooth. If you can live with it's performance for a few years compared to what is going to be available then it's probably an OK choice. Today it's priced right, but ONLY because it's probably about to be replaced. Back when it was new it and it's lenseswere very expensive (body only was $2,000)compared to it's competition and in all liklihood it's replacement will be too because it will not be a high volume item and the company will need to make hay while it can from the (few)people who do buy it.

Yes, you will need to go to ISO 800 if you plan to shoot low light without flash- probably ISO 1600 too, and the Olympus sensor performance as far as noise goesis far from the best option for that type subject.

Greg Chappell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 2, 2005, 10:54 AM   #4

ok, thanks alot both of you for helping me out.

i think i will go for the KM then.
sajdahgraphics is offline   Reply With Quote