Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 2, 2005, 1:42 PM   #1

Cannont decide b/w Panasonic DMC FZ5 or Canon Powershot S2IS. Both seem very similar in features and physical look. Any recommedations. Something A/F and manual. Good zoom, but all in all whichever will give me the best pictures. Going backpacking acorss western europe, australia and new zealand, taking pictures of people, landscapes, tourist attractions and anything else that captures my eye.

melanie :lol:
shutterbug212 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 4, 2005, 3:58 AM   #2

i think both of themwill fitto you. they are great cameras. you have to consider small differences. both of them good at resolution. canon has swivel lcd which i found very helpful at some situations(i have s1) an excellent movie mode, aa batteries, stitching frames to make panaroma.fz5 has a very fast AF which is very important. i really like the black fz5, but if i were you i willgo withthe canon.
echinacea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 9:35 AM   #3

I have recently brought an S2. I travel abroad a lot and wanted a compact camera to take every where.

So far really impressed with S2. Good build quality, great quality images, image stabiliser works very well - cannot recomend this featue highly enough. I had Panasonic FZ5 and FZ20 on my short list. Both are very good camers and would not disappoint (the FZ20 is about the same price as S2 in the UK - good source is cameras2u.com). Personally I found the quality and finish of S2 better, and it fitted my handright,the shutter button lay just where I wanted it. By comparison the Panasonics felt a little awkward. But everyone has diferent size hands so you should try handling each for yourself.

I like having it run on AAs because they are easy to get hold of in an emergency. The Ni-MH I am using right now have a remakable lifespan.

I have also been impressed by the panoramic 'stitch' facility. This works so very well with the provided software and is ideal for capturing those once in a lifetime views.

I am going to order a lensmate 52mm adaptor which with a skylight filter will provide some useful protection whilst travelling (www.lensmateonline.com).

Whatever you choose, Bon Voyage.

jdp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2005, 12:55 PM   #4

I have the FZ5 and I love it. It is compact, easy to hold and takes great photos. The battery life is super and the price is about $100 less than the S2, if you do a little searching online.
Justinian is offline   Reply With Quote