Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 7, 2005, 10:00 PM   #1

I take more landscape and wildlife photos than any other type. I am torn between a high zoom camera such as Canon S2 or Panasonic FZ5or a camera with a high megapixel count and wide zoom such as Canon s70 or Olympus C7070. Like the fact that I can take wildlife pics with the high zoom without cropping, like that I can take wideangle landscapes with the wide angle zoom cameras. Is 7 megapixel high enough that I can crop with the s70 or C7070 and still get a good wildlife pic? A dslr would take care of both of these the best, but these are out of my budget. Thanks!
slieb25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:27 AM   #2

You can't have both! For landscape the Canon S70, the Olympus 7070 or 8080are ideal because they have wide angle lenses. For wildlife the opposite is required with at least 200mm but probably a lot more depending on what you are shooting. I am an SLR man and have lenses from 12mm up to 600 and even with the 600 sometimes I wish for more when wildlife shooting. If it's just birds in the garden then OK, but long distance you'll need a lot more.
cameranserai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 11:55 AM   #3

cameranserai is right. If you want to shoot landscapes, you probably need wide angle lenses; wildlife, on the contrary, needs telephoto. COMPROMISE is the name of the game. I personally would look at the various "ultra-zooms" available. I have an Olympus C-755 that served me well until I got an dSLR. But there are lots of others out there now. Just remember that word: "compromise"; nothing will fulfill all your needs perfectly.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 8, 2005, 12:11 PM   #4

I believe that the ideal wide angle digital camera that would work well for landscapes would be the Olympus C-8080.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote