Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 18, 2005, 4:15 PM   #1

I'm looking to buy a new camera - applications are high-quality vacation photo's (museum's, church's, landscape) and kid's sports (field hockey, swimming, laccrosse). I've narrowed my search down to 2 DSLR's (Cannon XT, Nikon D70s) and 2 point & shoot's (Cannon Pro1, Nikon 8800). I'm leaning towards the point & shoot's given their size, weight, and zoom advantages (I know I can get greater zoom with additional lens' for the SLR's). One issue that's bugging me is speed - is there an appreciable difference between the solutions?

jb996 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 18, 2005, 5:46 PM   #2

I am very sorry indeed to report to you that there is a HUGE difference in speed (start-up, shot to shot, and review)between such P & S cameras like the Nikon 8800/8400 cameras. However, if youare willing towait for the soon to be released Fuji S-9000/S-5200 (late October)digital cameras, I think that that inherent slowness that we have had to bear withwill be a thing of the past.

dSLR Digital cameras can do a great job, with up to 5frame bursts on the Canon 20D, please realize that dSLR cameras represent a rather large investment in camera body, extra lenses, and accessories. The whole digital camera venue, IMHO, is about to make a huge change over the next 12 to 18 months. You will be amazed by the new and innovative digital camera that enter the marketplace.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote