Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2005, 2:30 PM   #1

Hi Everyone. I get to pick out a new camera for my birthday. I am currently using the Nikon Coolpix 2500. The only problem I had with it was how slooooow it was in recording pictures. I've been eyballing the Canon SD 400 and 500 as well as the Nikon Coolpix 5600 and S1. I will primarily use this for travel, sporting events, parties, etc., and I want something small enough to throw in my purse. The only thing I'm leaning away from is Sony due to the proprietary memory but I'm open to all other suggestions and ideas.

laydenredd is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:06 PM   #2

I'm not aware of any "quick" point and shoots.

A d-slr is not a small camera (although the pentax *ist is a very small DSLR).

I'm not sure your going to get the performance you may be looking for in the package size your wanting.

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 5:46 PM   #3

The Canon SD-500/SD-550 and the Nikon 7900 will be faster than your Nikon 2100. No they will not be as fast a dSLR camera, but your not spending the average $1,000 price tag of the dSLR either.

The Nikon 2100 is a very slow digital camera and I can understand your desire to speed things up a bit.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 20, 2005, 9:02 PM   #4

I wouldn't overlook the Sony cameras simply because of memory. The type of card needed is not what's important...it is the optics, ease of use, and ultimately the picture quality. Most sony cams stack up well against other brands in all areas. Card formats and specs are as likely to change as cameras. When it is time to upgrade your camera you will likely get a new card anyway. Also, memory sticks are no longer significantly more expensive than other formats.
rjseeney is offline   Reply With Quote