Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 20, 2005, 6:28 PM   #1

I was wondering if I could get some advice. I'm in the market for a digital camera and I'm trying to keep the price around $250. The most important features for me would be performance in low light and the optical zoom. The main use of the camera will be to take pics of live stage performances in darker or oddly lit situations (like when colored spotlights are being used). I am also not willing to give up a movie mode WITH sound. I am not a professional so I'm not concerned with getting a professional camera, but would like the ability to take semi decent pictures. My old olympus broke so now I am borrowing a 2mpx digital elph which is pulling a lot more of its weight than I thought it would but you can tell by the picture quality that it's not up to par.

I've narrowed it down (so far) to the canon s1 is and the fuji s5100. I know that stepping up on either is recommended but I really can't afford it now. I keep going back and forth. The movie mode seems to be toted on the Is's and being near camcorder quality, but I have read that the s5100 performs well with low light photos which I have not yet read about the s1 is. And then the s5100 is 4mpx and the canon is 3.2mpx.. And I just keep going back and forth still

Any thoughts?
torrance is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 20, 2005, 7:09 PM   #2

IMHO I would go for the Fuji S-5100, it is very attractively priced right now. I own the Canon S-1 IS and I frankly do not like it very well at all. I went and purchased a Fuji S-5000 because it was much better.

The video clip quality on the Canon S-2 IS is the one that gets the big reviews. The S-1 had a good video clip capability but nowhere near what the S-2 can do.

Sarah Joyce
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote