Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 26, 2005, 1:38 PM   #1

I'm new to the forum so I'll introduce myself. I love taking pictures, but have never had a really good camera. I did use a Canon SLR for a little bit with regular film and had good luck. I really want to learn more about photography and know I need an SLR to do that.

I'm going to be buying a digital SLR in the next month or so. I like the idea of being able to pick up and learn photography without the expense of development. I'm looking to take a wide range of shots. Indoor, outdoor, people, sports, landscapes. I like the size of the Rebel, but could have a little bigger.

Could you recommend a camera for me? I'm looking to spend around 1k.
hayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 26, 2005, 2:22 PM   #2

Welcome to the forums.

You'll get a variety of opinions on what DSLR is best in this price range, and there are pros and cons to any of them.

You'll find somemodels deemed to be a good value inour The Best Cameras List (see the Under $1000 Amateur DSLR Category).

If you already have an investment in Canon lenses, the Digital Rebel XT would be a camera to consider.

If you don't have an investment in lenses, then make sure to read the reviews of the others, paying close attention to the review Conclusion Sections (where you'llfind a lot of detail on how a model "stacks up" in a variety of categories).

Depending on how much you want to grow into photography, and the quality of the images you want, make sure to consider your lens costs. Finding lenses that meet your requirements is an important part of buying a DSLR (especially if you want better quality in a wider variety of conditions). But, you don't have to buy everything at once, either. ;-)

Also, there is a difference in how a lens is perceived on a DSLR versus a 35mm camera.

Because the sensor in a DSLR is smaller than 35mm film, the entire image circle being projected by a lens is not used in most (but not all) DSLR models. So, you have what we frequently call a "crop factor".

For Nikon, Pentax, and Konica-Minolta models, this factor is 1.5x. What this means is that you need to multiply the actual focal length of the lens by 1.5x to determine the 35mm equivalent focal length.

For example,on one of these models, a 50mm lens would appear to be longer than it is, working like a 75mm lens would on a 35mm SLR (50mm x 1.5 = 75mm). Or, a 28-70mm zoom on one of these DSLR models would behave like a 42-105mm lens on a 35mm camera.

So, your lenses will appear to be longer. This factor is 1.6x for the Canon Digital Rebel XT.

This can be a good thing on the "long end" when you want a longer telephoto lens. But, it can be a problem when you want something with a wider angle of view. That's one reason you'll find many newer lenses that start out much wider (for example, 17 or 18mm).

So, keep lens needs in mind when shopping for a camera.

The camera at the top of my "short list" right now in the under $1000 category is the Konica-Minolta Maxxum 5D (a.k.a, Dynax 5D).Steve's review of this model is in progress, and it should be finished very soon.

I'm sure others will respond with their favorite model in this market niche, too.

I'd also suggest "test driving" any model you consider in a store to make sure you're comfortable with it's design and operation, paying attention to things like Viewfinder usability, control layout, menu system design, grip/ergonomics, etc.

You want to make sure you're comfortable with the camera you choose (and there can be a big difference between them in these areas, with no one model being perfect for everyone).

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote