Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 28, 2005, 11:22 PM   #1

I'm looking to replace my Canon G3, the Conon SD400 and SD450 are in my price range, not opposed to the S60 either. And open to another brand.

But, my real question is: Should I spend the extra money for the SD450? If I should, what am I going to gain? Tell me better low light pics and I'm in.

Looking for Knowledge,

gldsndz is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Sep 29, 2005, 8:40 AM   #2

better screen is all. the camera capabilities are unchanges from what I know.
VAtechtigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2005, 11:21 AM   #3

A Second Question:SD400 vs. Getting an A-Series A95 or A610?
gldsndz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 2:37 PM   #4

The Larger "A" series will undoubtedly yield better images- as a general rule of thumb, get the "biggest" camera you can get as you get more features
kimnicho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2005, 2:51 PM   #5

gldsndz wrote:
Tell me better low light pics and I'm in.
If you don't know this already, the lens on your G3 is twice as bright as the lenses on most other subcompact cameras. It starts out at f/2.0 at it's widest lens position, only dropping off to f/3 at it's longest zoom position.

Most other cameras start out at f/2.8 (requiring shutter speeds twice as long as your G3 in lower light for the same ISO speed setting), with even more difference (in favor of the G3) at longer focal lengths (most smaller cameras are only rated at around f/4.9 at their longest focal length).

I also think you'll find that noise is worse with these models at higher ISO speeds, thanks mostly to much smaller photosites for each pixel, due to a smaller sensor with higher resolutioncompared to the one in your G3.

This compoundsthe problems shooting in low light, since you'd need ISO speeds twice as high with one of these cameras, just to match the G3 shutter speeds in low light at their wide angle lens position, thanks to the G3's much brighter lens). If using any optical zoom, you may need even more ISO sensitivity to match youir G3.

You may want to give members a better of idea of what you mean by "better low light pics".

It sounds like you're looking at cameras that are going to give you far worse results than you couldget with a model like your G3 (if you mean taking existing light photos withoiut a flash or tripod, where faster shutter speeds willbe needed to reduce blur from camera shake and subject movement).

If you mean something different by "better low light pics", I'd expand on what you're looking for in a camera.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote