Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Sep 29, 2005, 1:45 PM   #1

Hello Everyone!

style="BACKGROUND-COLOR: #000000"I am currently on the market for a new digicam. I used a Nikon Coolpix 900 before digital cameras were poplular. I played with all the settings, spent hours post processing, and really cherished that camera. It met an untimely demise when it slid off my shoulder and hit a railing.

I replaced it with a Coolpix 990. i\It was expensive, but it was also awesome. I was very happy with it. It still works great and I love the pictures. I am still amazed at the job it does. However, the new camera's are outpacing it. I could easily live with that, but the bulk of the camera is becoming an issue. It's time for a more compact and higher resolution camera.

I no longer spend hours post processing. I simply trim most photos and perhaps color saturate and sharpen them. If I've got some bad saturation in certain color, I'll adjust, but other than that, I don't want to do much. Red-eye, start up time, and shutter lag were issues I can live without.

My first inclination is Nikon. I was happy with their quality and performance. Their manauls and customer service are not impressive. The Coolpix 7900/5900 and 7600/5600 cameras have attracted my attention. The 5900- 7600-7900 only represent a $50 spread in price, not enough to be an issue.

I occasionally take low light pictures (2% of the time).

I occassionally take panoramic shots (5% of the time).

I force flash sometimes (10% of the time).

I take macro shots seldomly (3% of the time).

The remainder are point and shoot. I let the camera decide to flash or not.

I like using my AA Nimh batteries and I don't want to loose settings when I review pics on the camera. I want to avoid red eye without thinking. I am interested in scene modes.I don't want to have to wade through multiple menus to change things. I like the big displays. I want the compactness of a pocket size camera.

I am not against a different brand that is of similar or better quality and reliability than Nikon. I am also not against a proprietary battery.

Picture quality is very important.

I'm up in the air about 5 versus 7 Mpixals.

Price range would be around the $300 mark plus or minus $50.

I welcome recommendations. Please let me know why you are making your recommendation. My photo lingo is pretty limited, so please be gentle.

Thanks so much for your help

PegBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links