Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 4, 2005, 2:10 PM   #1

Hi all,

I havehad aKodak DX7440 for the past 12 months. For the most part I have been very happy with this camera, and like the manyfeatures. The exception being rather poor low light performance, and somewhat unrealistic skin tones when pictures are developed.

I am looking to upgrade to a new camera, as we are expecting a child very shortly, and don't want those unmissable shots lost due to poor low-light capabilities.

Any ideas?

waynehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 4, 2005, 3:19 PM   #2

Define what you mean by "rather poor low light performance".

Do you mean Autofocus speed and reliability?

Motion Blur? If so, have you been using Auto ISO or setting it to a specific value?

Are you using the flash and staying within the flash range?

Most non-DSLR camera models have more limitations in low light, because their sensors are much smaller.

To get a big improvement, you normally need to go to a DSLR class of camera using a bright lens. These cameras can shoot at much higher ISO speeds with lower noise levels.

But, there are some newer non-DSLR models that have some improvements in these areas, too.

I'd give forum members more information on what limitations you're running into, and what your budget is for a new camera. A DSLR model will set you back more initially, but may be a better way to go if you want a big increase in performancein low light.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 4:45 AM   #3

Thanks for the reply.

I find this camera poor in low light because it either over exposes objects that are slightly closer to the camera, or photos are too dark even within flash range.

On a recent trip to Singapore, I could not get a decent shot inside the dimly lit Long Bar, whatever I seemed to try.

Pictures tend to be very dull on overcast days (Addmitedly on auto mode) and very often find myself brightening pictures on my pc afterwards.

I''m looking to spend around £200 and am leaning towards the Canon A610/A620.

waynehayes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2005, 10:55 AM   #4

Certainly the Fuji F-10 is a great low light performer. I have one and it is great, a very competent performer. If you want more zoom than the 3X optical zoom that is available on the F-11, please take a look at the Fuji S-5200/S-5600. It uses the same imager and offers 10X optical zoom. Both cameras have ISO's up to 1600 which produce images with little noise.

Here is a photo sample from the S-5200/S-5600 taken WITHOUT flash.

Sarah Joyce
Attached Images
speaklightly is offline   Reply With Quote