Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2005, 2:47 PM   #1

powershot sd400

pros: it's a canon, good image/video quality (although some say it's bad), my color
cons: lcd screen cracking, camera freezing, and low battery life

exilim exz57
pros: good battery life, lcd screen size, 23 scene modes
cons: it's a casio, not great video quality, pictures not excellent (although some say it's great)

for the options, price, size, etc. i am down to these two. of these two, which is better?

klasykgyrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 5, 2005, 4:52 PM   #2

My preference would be for the SD400. I'm not anti-Casio as I am very happy with my Z750, but I would prefer the Canon for the viewfinder.

Casio LCDs don't seem too great in bright sunlight and there is no optical viewfinder to fall back on. The LCD is very large, but has slightly fewer pixels than the SD400. If your near vision is good you will see as much on the Canon viewfinder.

Canon's numbers for the SD400 based on industry standards are 150 shots with the viewfinder on and 400 shots with it off. That should do for most situations if you keep the battery charged.

I never used the movie modes on older cameras until I got 640 X 480 movies at 30fps. The tiny movies the Z57 takes aren't good for much IMO. The SD400 isn't MPEG4, so you fill the card fast. But I don't find I take long movies with a digital camera.

I don't use the scene modes on my Casio. I find they mess with settings I would prefer not messed with. And most of them are on the funky side to me. I think the Canon has the ones you would be most likely to use anyway.

slipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 8:08 PM   #3

Casion will have advantage in the movie recording. It uses MPEG-4, which takes less space compare to Canon
r_devakumar is offline   Reply With Quote