Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 5, 2005, 10:22 PM   #1

I have a broken Canon A80 that I need to exchange at a store, and my two choices are the Canon S2IS or the Rebel XT. I've never used an SLR but am eager to learn, but I am not sure if I am ready (or willing) to make the financial investment in the camera plus the lenses I want. Is the S2 a good learning camera? I currently have an A95 but I don't feel like it can take me much further in my quest for better pictures, but I plan on keeping it as a p&s.

I've been saving for the XT for some while, but I don't know how much longer I can wait. I'm hoping the S2 is a good step, and once I get a better feel for creative photography, I can upgrade to the XT or better.

Any thoughts?
scrappysurfer is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:30 AM   #2

I think the S2 is a great camera to learn on. It really has a lot to show for it. However, I recently got a hold of a D20 (not mine but it's in my possession for some time) and I have to tell you I feel like a REAL man now!!! lol

I took 1 picture with that thing and immediately realized how much better the pictures quality was. When I have it on burst mode, I can't even snap a single picture because it's so fast I always get 2 or 3!! Even with flash, the thing bursts at nearly 2-3 fps.

There is so much to control on this camera, that I feel it's way too much for a single man to handle!!! lol

Seriously, though...A dSLR is a very nice invenstment. I would go that route if:

A) I had the money
B) I felt it was as "useable" as my S2

My S2 is so much smaller. So much cheaper. And it does things the dSLR family can't, such as video! Articulating LCD...yadda yadda...

You have to decide what you want, my friend! Enjoy either way.
swgod98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2005, 10:44 AM   #3

The S2 comes with the around 400mm lens. So you have to look at lens you will need for your XT. If you just starting and limited budget, then s2 or any equivalent would be nice starter cam. I am biased towards panasonic FZ series.

If you decide to go with XT, it is whole new ball game. The picture quality would be much much better but you would be paying for it as you will lensed for your different needs.
bobbyz is offline   Reply With Quote