Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 7, 2005, 9:59 AM   #1

I currently have a Nikon 4300 and think it's a great camera in all respect apart from size. There are many time that I wish I had picture but did not want to carry a bag to hold the camera, so with the appearance of the pocket size Ultra Compact I have decided to look for a replacement. I really want the picture quality of the 4300 in a pocket size version. Image quality is my biggest concern; many of the reviews that I have read make it sound like you sacrifice quality as you gain size. I have read many reviews and the winner seems to be the SD 400/450 followed by the Sony T7 and Casio EX-500… Are there any others that I should check out? If not does my order sound about right? Will the pq of these ultras be as good or close to my current Nikon 4300?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

other factors are more important that price

I'm looking at ultra-compacts such as Fuji Z1, Casio EX-500, Canon SD450, Sony T7, Nikon S1, Pentax S5z…

megapixels: I guess 4mp at a minimum, a great 8*10 is all I need…

Image clarity and detail is most important to me, then low light ability and lastly color an saturation which PS Elements can improve.

I would love a optical zoom of more than 3x but I think that is asking too much from the ultra portables.

Some manual controls would be nice to play with but would not be used too much, 95% of the time it will be used as a point and shoot.

General Usage

I will be using the camera mainly to capture vacations, dinners, friend and family. I would like the option to be able to print large images for picture frames (no bigger than 8*10)

there are really no other factors I just want the best picture in the smallest box
sykesatl is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 7, 2005, 2:55 PM   #2

I'm in a similar position. Just sold my Nikon 4500- too bulky, unfriendly menus and annoying shutter lag. I'm considering the Canon SD500, SD550 but, most of all, I like the Casio EX750 because of its manual options, which allow for more flexibility. I hear conflicting reports on the weak flash, but otherwise it sounds like a good buy.
docalan is offline   Reply With Quote