Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 9, 2005, 2:25 PM   #1

I am in the throws of purchasing a digital compact camera and have narrowed it down to one of these two, the Canon S80 or S70

My dilema is whether I need RAW image files, which the new S80 no longer features as an option.

I don't usually do a huge amount to an image. I use PaintShop Pro and would typically rotate, crop, then do automatic colour balance, contrast and saturation, changing the settings if I don't like the result. Then I print to 8><10, but maybe would like to go bigger.

Doing this to a Jpeg file reduces, say a 2.4Mb file to about 750Kb, which seems rather small, especially when my film scanner files are often 30Mb.

The S80 has some very nice new features which I would like such as the bigger display and better low light sensitivity so I would prefer it if it was all I needed.

Help please!
luceberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 9, 2005, 3:19 PM   #2

I am facing the same dilemma. My Casio P600 was stolen and I need to replace it with a compact, high resolution digicam that I can use at work for closeups and take anywhere for general shooting. I once owned a Canon G2 and was impressed with build, lens and image quality. The canon glass on the Casio was great and I probably not too dissimilar from whats on the S80 which by the specs appears to be the same lens as the S70. That lens has had some softness and purple fringing problems at wide angle. I occasionally use RAW. The side mounted wheel on the S80 has me concerned because it is different...may turn out to be better. My alternative is the Fuji E900. If Steve would review these two cameras then I might be able to decide.

The S80 is more compact that the S70. I don't know if the sensor is that much better.

Let me know what you decide.

wine540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2005, 9:02 AM   #3

One thing that might sway you is the fact that the S80 uses SD cards soany Compact Flash cards would be redundant
MeanGreeny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2005, 8:12 PM   #4

Has anyone actually used an S80 yet?

I know I won't make a decision until someone is able to give a "hands on" impression andshares a few images.
wine540 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2005, 2:17 PM   #5

I'm also very interested in this camera, and it seems to be as good as expected

here some sample

andlinks toforum where some people used it, and gave impressions about it

kraft2000 is offline   Reply With Quote