Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 24, 2005, 8:23 PM   #1

I purchased a Fuji 2650 about 2 years ago as my first digital camera. I was really impressed with the picture quality and ease of use. The camera turned me into a fan of photography!

So now I'm looking to upgrade. What I'm looking for specifically is:

-At least as good picture quality as the Fuji 2650

-3-4 MP (the 2650 is a 2MP, which I found sufficient for 4x6 pics)

-4x or MORE optical zoom (I found the 3x zoom on the 2650 lacking)

-Some more manual controls (I'm new to photography but woudl appreciate being able to modify things like aperature, white balance and so forth)

-SLR-look (as with the 2650, I prefer cool, robust, classic looking cameras as opposed to the ultra-compact look of some of the more popular options out there)

-AUDIO video recording (FPS and resolution are less important, but sound is something I would like to have)

Any suggestions? I'm inclined to stick with Fuji based on the photo quality, but online reviews (including Steve's) indicate that the 2650 is a bit of a unique case... other Fujis which fit my requirements (S3000 series and S5000 series for instance) seem to have relatively poor quality. So I'm open to any suggestions!

strife350z is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Oct 26, 2005, 6:08 AM   #2

The only flaw Steve found with the S5100 was vignetting at wide apertures. I've owned the 2650 and bought several of them as gifts for relatives. It's a good little camera, but I owned several other cameras in that class which I would choose over it. The S5100 is far superior to the 2650 although I'll admit that the vignetting would kill the deal for me. The Konica Minolta Z10 seems like a good deal at around $150-170, and the Olympus C-5500 is a great value, also.
lucky2505 is offline   Reply With Quote