Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 28, 2005, 1:54 PM   #11
Super Moderator

thanks for all the great info jim!! appreciate it.. the only reason i asked is my dad was looking to get a dslr.. and as much as he likes my 20d, he really doesn't want to spend that much.. and he was looking for a good compact dslr for available low light shooting.. mostly duck hunting pictures.. after reading your comments and doing a little research,i had become interested in suggesting to him the km 5d and then a couple of zooms as he doesnt want to be switching off that much..

i think i have took the 18-50 off the list of possibilities... now looking into a tamron/km 28-75 2.8 and a sigma 100-300 f4.. and then have the kit lens if he needs to go a little wider..

p.s.- i think i am about as excited tottry it outwhen visiting him as he is to get it... hehe.. though i must keep in mind that i can only have one system of cameras.. must not buy another one... or so i am telling myself now...
Hards80 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2005, 8:29 PM   #12

Wow, lots of replies, thanks! My current film SLR is a Minolta, so I'll take a better look at KM's digicam offerings. However, for some reason, I'm a little intimidated by the idea of starting out with a dSLR as my first digicam. So, I'm also going to take Roxydog's advice and look closely at Fuji's E550, which was on my list of possibilities anyway.

Any other suggestions?
Max Diego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 1:10 AM   #13

OK, I'm now thinking I'll go ahead and get a P&S and a dSLR. In terms of the latter, if I were to get the KM Maxxum 5D, would I be able to use the Minolta lenses I already use with my Minolta Maxxum 5 film camera? Sorry for such a dumb-sounding question. It's tough for me to stay up-to-date in terms of technology due to having such a busy schedule. (I'm just an enthusiastic hobbyist, not a pro.)
Old Oct 29, 2005, 7:02 AM   #14

Yes, you can use the lenses from your Maxxum 5 on the KM Maxxum 5D.

I'd make sure to try out any cameras you consider in a store to make sure you're comfortable with one. If you're accustomedto an SLR, then the extra size and weight with a DSLR versus a P&S may not be a problem. Do you like shooting with your Maxxum 5 now?

For ease of use, if you can use your Maxxum 5 and are comfortable with it, you can use a KM 5D. It's even got scene modes on it.

But, also take into consideration that sometimes the easier a camera is to bring with you, the less likely you'll leave it at home. I keep a little Konica KD-510z (a.k.a., Minolta G500) with me at all times. That makes it easy to get a photo on a moment's notice.

Of course, it's got it's limitations. For example: redeye with the built in flash, max ISO speed of 400 (and you're better off sticking to ISO 200 for noise purposes), lens brightness at longer focal lengths (f/2.8 at the wide angle setting,dropping down to f/4.9 at max zoom).

No one camera is perfect for all users in all conditions. They are alla compromise in some way (for example: size, weight, cost, ergonomics, sensor efficiency, noise, dynamic range, metering accuracy, image processing quality, lens choices/quality, features and flexibility)

From my perspective, if it's too big to fit in a pocket, the camera I bring with memight as well be an SLR or DSLR. But, each user will have different preferences (and may be taking photos of different subjectsin different conditions more often);-)

Read the reviews here for models you consider. You can find some models considered to be a good value in the Best Cameras List. Pay close attention to the review conclusion sections (where you'll see startup time, cycle times, Autofocus speed/accuracy and image quality discussed). Check specs on things like flash range and lens brightness, too.

Then, try them out in a store to see what you're comfortable with, thinking about how you're more likely to use a camera most often.

JimC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 9:04 AM   #15

If you are familiar with chemical cameras, you already know the basic features you want in a digital.One major difference is that you have to do your own "darkroom" work with a photo editor. For that reason, I'd suggest that you learn how to use a photo editor before you purchase a digital camera. Have some photos cut onto a CD - cheap if done at the time of processing, albeit fairly low resolution.

Then when you are ready to get a digital camera, you will be fully ready to use it, the prices will have dropped, and there will be more choices.

The other way to go is to get a cheap (~US$200) digicam that fits in your shirt pocket. Even with a dSLR, you will find that usefull later as a go everywhere camera.
BillDrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 29, 2005, 4:46 PM   #16

Jim C,
Thanks for your very helpful, detailed suggestions!

Do you like shooting with your Maxxum 5 now?
Yes, I do. BUT, I tend to only use it when I'm able to set aside a chunk of time to devote to shooting, like on the weekends. Or, I'll use it at a special event, like a graduation or wedding reception. I did use it quite a bit this summer at various athletic events. In contrast, I always carry a P&S around with me. At home, I've got one P&S ready to grab downstairs and one upstairs, so that it's less likely I'll miss any of the action. (I fear my kids don't get disciplined enough sometimes because I'm too busy documenting how cute they are when they get into mischief. :-)) So ... hmm. Maybe I should go back to my original idea of just starting out with a P&S as my first digicam.

Thanks also for your input!
For that reason, I'd suggest that you learn how to use a photo editor before you purchase a digital camera.
I think this is an excellent suggestion and one I haven't seen often as I've been researching. Anyway, fortunately, I think I've done this already. Or at least to some degree. I've been using an Epson photo scanner for a couple of years. Photoshop Elements was bundled with it, and I've become pretty well accustomed to working with it and like it.

I'll continue to research -- this site is a great resource!