Go Back   Steve's Digicams Forums > Digicam Help > What Camera Should I Buy?

Old Oct 31, 2005, 9:47 PM   #1

I need to be able to take shots of dogs doing agility and flyball. These are very fast, usually poor lighting, and no flash allowed.

Is a SLR my only option? Can any of the P&S digitals handle this? If so, which ones would be fast enough. I only have that split second of a dog going over a jump to capture the shot.

I'm tired of getting pictures of jumps with no dog in sight. ;-)

Myris is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
Old Nov 1, 2005, 2:59 AM   #2

Entry-level dSLRs are cheaper than many ultrazoom digicams these days, so if those are your needs, I wouldn't consider anything else. Any of the Nikon D50, Canon XT, or Olympus E-500 can be had with lens for under $1000 these days; I'm not sure about the prices of the Pentax and Konica/Minolta, but they're probably close. My personal recommendation would be the Olympus 2-lens kit, since I believe the Oly kit lenses are better than those of the others, but any will produce excellent photos. There is a learning curve, however, with any of them, so don't expect to produce masterpieces from day 1. They are powerful tools and require some hands-on experience.

Norm in Fujino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2005, 5:56 AM   #3

I think a DSLR will be the only camera responsive enough to deal with high speed action like dog agility.

Maybe look at the Nikon D50, as it has flash synchronization up to 1/500th a second.

You will probably need to shoot a shutter speed of 1/500th or faster to capture a sprinting dog.

The ability to use a little "fill flash" in your shot (maybe not during a competition, but during a photo session) would set your photography apart from the rest.

You might need to look at a good quality "fast" zoom lens (F2.8 or faster) to deal with low light situations. Keep that in mind in your budget.

-- Terry

terry@softreq.com is offline   Reply With Quote